John 15:12-13 “This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you. Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.”
Why we should love God:
- God created us.
- He forgave us and saved us first. Before we could really love Him, He loved us and saved us.
- God wants to be with you. God, holy, lofty, righteous, majestic God looking down at earth and says ‘I want to spend forever with you.’
We love God by:
- Obeying Him and His Word.
- Hating the things that He hates and loving the things that He loves. When God is jealous, it is a righteous jealousy. We need to let go of the things that keep us away from Him. No man can serve two masters. We are all going to serve something and you can’t have two. We need to position Him as number # 1 in our lives.
- Allow His love for us to flow and escape out towards others. I can love God by loving you the way He loves me. It’s a commandment from God to love as we are loved. We can’t love others without God’s love flowing in and through us. It’s natural to repay evil with evil. What is supernatural is turning the other cheek and repaying evil with God’s love flowing through us.
Excerpted from a sermon preached by: Pastor Anthony LoCascio.